a photoblog by ben fredman

Saturday, September 19, 2009

friday night iPhone



I still find myself on a high school football field on the occasional Friday night. Instead of shooting on deadline for a paper, I'm organizing and delving out cameras, advice and inspiration for my students.

We are waiting for long glass, two 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses for the students to use. For now, they're using kit lenses on Nikon D40's...hardly ideal for shooting action on the football field. However, I'm a fan of looking away from the obvious, to more subtle aspects of sports, and all stories for that matter. It's interesting, open to seeing. In addition, I'm explaining the idea that it's not the camera or lens you use but the things you see. So I goofed off for a half with my iPhone...showing my students along the sidelines, in hope of inspiration, the things I was seeing with my phone.

6 comments:

William DeShazer said...

I hope that students learned a valuable lesson from this set of photos man. It looks great. I hope you're doing well. We should catch up soon.

Adam said...

This is tight dude, I wish there were Iphone's around when I was in high school. Teach them well sir.

Drew Nash said...

Not bad at all man! When in doubt get low! Sounds like the teaching gig is treating you well.

photographer italy said...

You gave them the most important lesson...gear can be useful, but you need the eye more than everything else, you need the ability to look..

Tony Esposito said...

Photographer par excellence! Glad I found you. I want to see more, other subjects too if you have them. Meantime, QuickReads found your blog and recommends, "DON'T EVER LEAVE THIS COUNTRY," by Tony Esposito. Big hit at the Miami International Book Festival. One of the top twenty first novels of 2009. Author discount available at AuthorHouse.com. Visit the website: www.donteverleavethiscountry.com for a money back guarantee plus $25 Barnes and Noble gift certificate. Google the book and view the book cover and read sample chapters. Evan Bando, Maria Lesta, Marilyn Maple and Stu will all be waiting for you. You're going to love it - or your money back!

Martin said...

Come back teaching at Lakewood Mr. Fredman, its not the same without you!!

illtown

I am a freelance photographer and educator specializing in documentary, editorial and travel photography based in St. Petersburg FL.
All Images © Ben Fredman, The Free Lance-Star, The Dallas Morning News, The Star-Ledger, The Muskegon Chronicle and The Post Register.